- You Are Here:
- Revenue Collections
- Business License
Customer Service Counter
6550 Miles Avenue #127
Huntington Park, CA 90255
(323) 588-2657 Fax
Information Sheets and Applications
- New Business License Application (PDF)
- Business License Closure Form (PDF)
- Contractor's License Application (PDF)
Any person or entity who conducts any business, trade, profession, enterprise,
establishment or occupation within the City shall obtain a business license whether or not the
physical address is in or outside the City. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Apartment owners (see Rental Property License application)
- Commercial/Industrial rental property owners (see Rental Property License application)
- Business located within the City such as retail stores, wholesalers, manufacturers and service providers
- Businesses, which are located outside the City, but transact business in the City such as contractors, cleaners, repair people and gardeners
- Home-based businesses
- Independent contractors such as doctors, hairdressers, janitorial contractors
- Ice cream, produce, bakery and catering trucks
Certain businesses may require other permit approval in addition to filing the business license application and the payment of the business license tax.
Steps for Obtaining a Business License
There are several steps in the process of obtaining your business license. Before you get started, make sure to take care of these initial steps:
* Contact Community Development to find out if your business activity is
permitted at the proposed business address.
* Check your Business Type to see if your business requires further review
- Step One: Application and Review
- Step Two: Pay Fees and Inspection Requirements
- Step Three: Safety Inspection
- Step Four: Final Documents
Important Contact Information
Phone #(323) 584-6210
Step One: Application and Review
Contact Community Development for review and approval; upon approval you are ready to begin the business license process.
1. The business license application requires approval by Community Development. An occupancy permit requires an inspection. The purpose is to ensure the business operation is in the correct zone and the area you intend to occupy meets the City's building code standards.
2. Please make sure your application contains a Business Operations Description.
3. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
4. Submit the business license application and the business license supplemental application to Community Development at the counter between 7:00am to 3:00pm, Monday through Thursday.
Community Development will review the application. In some case, the review may involve a site visit.
Important Contact Information
Phone #(323) 584-6210
Step Two: Pay Fees and Inspection Requirements
When Community Development reviews and approves your application, they will direct you:
- Pay the Occupancy Permit Inspection at the Finance Cashier Window
- Below is the list of inspection items required for a Business License Occupancy Certification from the Department of Building & Safety:
- Property address clearly visible from the street.
- Double keyed door locks are not allowed on exit doors.
- A sign on the entrance door, frame, inside the business and above door, is required stating “This door to remain unlocked during business hours”.
- All outlets, switches, and junction boxes are to be properly covered.
- No exposed wiring.
- Bolt all storage cabinets and shelving over 6’ tall to the ground or wall.
- GFCI outlet is required if the outlet is within 6’ of a sink.
- No open breaker slots allowed in any panel.
- A minimum of 3’ clearance is required in front of all panels and electrical meters.
Please contact the Building and Safety Department at (323)584.6273, when you are ready for an inspection.Step Three: Safety Inspection
Now that you have an inspection appointment, you need to:
- Designate someone to greet the inspector and provide access to the building.
- This person must be at the business location from 8:00am to 5:00pm. Specific times cannot be provided.
- If the inspection fails, the inspector will leave a correction notice. When all corrections have been made, you need to call for a re-inspection. For a building inspector call (323) 584-6273.
- There is no charge for a re-inspection.
Step Four: Final Documents
You have obtained building inspector approval. This means you passed inspection.
Here is what you need to do next.
- Complete the business license application and calculate fees. Contact Business License Division at (323) 584-6232, to confirm amount.
- Complete the alarm permit application. There is a $20 permit fee. If you do not have an alarm, fill out the application and indicate there is no alarm.
- Submit the following forms and payment to the Finance Department.
- Business License Application
- Emergency Card
- Alarm Permit Application
- License Collector's Form
- State/Government Issued Identification
- Federal Tax Identification Number/SSN Number
Closing a Business License
Business owners who wish to close a business entirely or transfer ownership to another party must file a Business License Closure Form with the Finance Department.
Additional forms are required for Corporations, Specialty Professions and Food Related Businesses. Contact Business License Division at (323) 584-6232, for required forms.